Energy Forecasting Analyst
This ad is now closed and is an example of a job including maths skills.
Opportunity to contribute to the future of Australia’s energy sector
Collaborate with stakeholders right across industry
Apply technical skills to real world problems
Attractive Remuneration plus Performance bonus
We currently have 4 great opportunities for Analysts to join AEMO’s Energy Forecasting team in either one of our Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney or Brisbane offices (Melbourne and Adelaide locations preferred).
Reporting to the Senior Manager Energy Forecasting, this role will have you focused on:
- Applying your statistical and mathematical modelling skills to develop short and long term energy forecasts
- Developing technical solutions to problems that impact energy demand
- Coordinating the delivery of forecasting projects
- Providing analytical and data management support to energy forecasting activities
If successful, you will be involved in developing sophisticated statistical models, producing reports, developing and maintaining datasets, tools and systems, providing advice to the business on demand statistics, as well as managing relationships with staff, consultants, and internal and external stakeholders.
As the ideal candidate, you will have:
- Approximately 2 years’ experience ideally in the energy industry in a similar role coupled with relevant tertiary qualifications in a numerical discipline such as statistics, mathematics, econometrics, science, engineering, or economics
- Strong programming and data management skills, with experience in statistical or mathematical modelling and database development – experience with R would be highly regarded
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to adapt to a changing fast-paced working environment and to work through technical issues in a timely manner
- Ability to take ownership and drive significant pieces of analytical work
- Effective verbal and written communication skills – with the ability to engage and collaborate with stakeholders and prepare and present high quality reports
The Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) plays an integral role in planning, developing and operating markets that respond to Australia’s gas and electricity needs. We support long-term investment in Australia’s energy networks and collaborate closely with government, communities and other stakeholders. We are building an exceptional organisation to effectively manage Australia’s energy grids and markets, and to deliver value to our stakeholders. AEMO’s vision is to be pivotal to markets that secure Australia’s energy needs.