Expressions of Interest: Analysts/Senior Analysts – Forecasting
This ad is now closed and is an example of a job including maths skills.
The Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) is seeking expressions of interest from talented, qualified and forward thinking statistics, mathematics, operations research, economics, econometrics or commerce professionals interested in pursuing a career within the ever-changing energy industry. With its broad national focus for the future, AEMO’s objectives are to promote efficient investment in, and operation of, Australia’s electricity and gas markets for the long-term interests of consumers, with respect to price, quality, safety, reliability and security of energy supply.
We would like to invite professionals with qualifications in statistics, mathematics, operations research, economics, econometrics or commerce, and experience analysing energy market trends, market design, supply and demand, market behaviour, and regulatory policy, to register their interest in a future role with AEMO, so that as opportunities arise, we can connect with you.
Key role accountabilities include:
- Developing new projects to improve data and modelling processes using a range of software tools.
- Accessing and data mining AEMO and external data sources to develop a new forecasting insight series.
- Applying technical modelling skills to develop short and long term forecasting models.
- Collaborating with industry experts to model the impact of a wide variety of changing market conditions and policy initiatives on demand forecasts.
- Coordinating the delivery of forecasting projects.
- Utilising communication skills to explain consumption behaviour and trends to industry and management, and developing demand forecast reports.
- The key role requirements are as follows:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in a numerical/analytical discipline (e.g. statistics, mathematics, operations research, economics, econometrics, commerce or related).
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong data management and data mining skills, with experience in programming and database development, and statistical/mathematical/econometric modelling. Experience with R and/or SAS would be highly regarded.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to engage and collaborate with stakeholders across industry and at various levels within an organisation.
- Ability to prepare and present high quality reports to management and stakeholders.
- Understanding of electricity and gas markets would be highly regarded.
The Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) plays an integral role in planning, developing and operating markets that respond to Australia’s gas and electricity needs. We support efficient long-term investment in Australia’s energy networks and collaborate closely with government, communities and other stakeholders. We are building an exceptional organisation to effectively manage Australia’s energy grids and markets, and to deliver value to our stakeholders.
The energy industry is currently undergoing a period of rapid transformation and it has never been a more important time to be involved in shaping the future of the energy sector. Are you up to the challenge?
What’s on offer?
Working at AEMO provides an opportunity to contribute to the future of Australia’s energy industry. The Forecasting Division is seeking future team members to work autonomously and take ownership of work packages providing valuable career development opportunities and the chance to contribute to AEMO’s objectives and help shape the future landscape of the electricity and gas markets.
Team members are part of a professional, intelligent and motivated workforce that is culturally and geographically diverse. Our people are highly skilled and well regarded within the energy industry, providing you with opportunities to learn and develop.
AEMO offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package, a range of annual health and wellbeing programs and an active social club.