Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Cancer Modelling (Level A, 12mth Contract)
This ad is now closed and is an example of a job including maths skills.
As computing technology evolves, you can use computer model simulations to obtain results that are currently not experimentally measurable or require decades of data collection to obtain – Already know that? Then keep reading!
Combine your interest in health research AND tertiary qualifications in the unique space of modelling (e.g. computer science, bioinformatics, applied mathematics) Celebrating over 60 years, Cancer Council NSW is a community funded, community focused not for profit. Cancer Council NSW (CCNSW) is the largest cancer charity in NSW and its point of difference is that it works across all stages of the cancer journey from research right through to support. With an increasing number of grant approvals, and collaborations both nationally and internationally, we now have the need for a new Research Fellow to join the team in a 12 mth contract, with potential for extension. Based in the Woolloomooloo office, you will be part of the Cancer Screening Group that has developed detailed novel models of screening for several different cancers, which can be used to evaluate various prevention strategies in different settings.
The group emphasises an epidemiological approach to modelling and strong local collaborations in the settings in which they work. The Cancer Screening Group is involved in policy evaluations of cervical cancer prevention (encompassing screening and vaccination against human papillomavirus (HPV) for Australia, England, New Zealand, and China, including government – commissioned work. You will participate in the development of the simulation platform used in evaluations of cancer screening programs.
In summary? It’s helping to provide coding to health research, to help develop screening processes for cancers.
It will suit someone with:
- A tertiary qualification with a programming and data analysis component (e.g. computer science, applied mathematics, bioinformatics or a related area)
- Experience in programming using C++ or equivalent
- A demonstrated interest in a career in health research
- Ability to work effectively with software applications including word-processing, Excel spreadsheet, database, statistical (e.g. SAS or STATA) and communication tools
Key responsibilities will be to:
- Work effectively to support the Research Fellow in the development of the simulation platform used to evaluate the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of cancer screening programs.
- Develop and document code in a comprehensive and careful manner
- Conduct extensive sensitivity analysis, calibration and validation of the modelling outputs under the direction of the Research Fellow.
- Assist and participate in interpretation of study outcomes Build and maintain effective working relationships with investigators, collaborators and other project staff
Why wait! Apply online by visiting our website directly, copying the following link www.cancercouncil.com.au/jobs then click on the role title Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (Cancer Modelling) Level A 12 mth Contract (Cancer Council NSW) and submit your cover letter summarising why you are applying, and your resume to support your experience!