Research Officer (Bioinformatician)
This ad is now closed and is an example of a job including maths skills.
Contract till 31 Dec 2017 (with potential for extension beyond that date) Full Time
Generous Salary Packaging Options
About Baker IDI
Baker IDI Heart & Diabetes Institute is an independent, internationally renowned medical research facility. Our work extends from the laboratory to wide-scale community studies with a focus on diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
About the Role
We are seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Research Officer to join our Metabolomics Laboratory. Metabolomics is the systematic study of the unique metabolite (small-molecule) fingerprints of biological systems. The Metabolomics Laboratory uses “state of the art” tandem mass spectrometry to obtain metabolic profiles (primarily lipids and fats) from the blood stream and in model systems to develop new approaches to early diagnosis, risk assessment and therapeutic monitoring of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
This position will play a key role in the development and implementation of statistical approaches to characterise the dyslipidemia associated with diabetes and cardiovascular disease, create and validate predictive models of diabetes risk and integrate lipidomic data with gene expression and genetic variation profiles to further characterise the pathogenesis of disease. This position will be required to work closely with a number of the senior investigators on this project to pursue different aspects of the statistical analysis, multivariate model development and validation.
In this role you will be expected to perform the following key objectives:
- Participate in design, coordination and data analysis of metabolomic based research studies
- Coordinate the formatting and processing of data in preparation for analysis
- Develop new and/or revised analytical approaches as required for analysis
- Conduct of research either as a team member or independently, and the production of conference papers and publications from that research
- Guidance in the research effort of junior members or research-only staff in the area
- Contribution to the preparation, or where appropriate individual preparation, of research proposal submissions to funding bodies
- Involvement in professional activities including attendance at conferences and seminars in field of expertise
- Administrative functions primarily connected with area of research
- Attendance at meetings associated with research and/or membership of a limited number of committees
Skills and Experience
The successful candidate will possess academic knowledge of statistics as evidenced by coursework taken at honours or postgraduate level.
Experience in one or more of the following areas would also be highly regarded:
Application of statistics in a biomedical/health science related field. Demonstrated expertise in MATLAB.
Programming skills in R/Java
The position offers flexibility and generous salary packaging options. Remuneration will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s
qualifications and experience.